November 23, 2017 | MANILA, PHILIPPINES

3 children die from live wire electrocution, 1 survives after power returns to Samar


THREE OF four children in Calbayog City, Samar died after getting electrocuted by a live wire left hanging near a mango tree, just hours after the entire city was energized following a week-long power outage due to a 6.5-magnitude earthquake that damaged facilities. The fourth child survived and was rushed to a private hospital in Tacloban City. Authorities in Calbayog confirmed that the three fatalities were cousins, identified as Nathan, 7, and Joey, 5, both surnamed Tomenes, and Stephen Aying, 7. The one who survived was a 5-year-old boy. They were playing around 6 p.m. Sunday night along Cabanas Street when the fatal incident happened. Calbayog City Mayor Ronaldo P. Aquino said he has ordered a probe to determine if the city’s electricity distributor has been remiss. “I already ordered a thorough investigation for the incident while the city is also set to extend financial assistance to the family of the victims, and see kung nagpabaya ba (if there was negligence) on the part of the Samar Electric Cooperative,” the mayor said. -- The Freeman